Shauncastic 09: She Don’t Need No Stinking Gun

Play

In this episode our cast chat about the idea of what constitutes a “Strong Female Role” in Sci-Fi, Fantasy and Cinema.

The “Cast” this week is Dr. Mrs. The Awesome and Christina “The Brownie”. Don’t forget we’ve joined iTunes! So make sure to subscribe, rate, and leave reviews to help improve our listenership! Email us your thoughts, questions and suggestions for upcoming episodes at stuff@shauncastic.com. Enjoy!

6 comments

1. Mearl says:

You guys forgot about 1 female charater that should have been mentioned. Ivanna from b5…:-)

November 20th, 2010 at 10:11 pm

2. occupational therapy says:

nice post. thanks.

November 26th, 2010 at 12:44 am

3. move on after a break up says:

My daughter was laughing when reading this line on your blog …… this is it, you just smashed it down pal.

November 28th, 2010 at 8:13 am

4. Dastari says:

Agreed about Ivanova. I’m also a little disappointed that women in other media, such as Nynaeve (or really all the women in Jordan weren’t discussed). I’d also like to see a rebuttal of some type in the future with guys or a mixed group of guys/girls.

One of the things that I see is that a lot of guys are challenged in writing women and either write them as total bitches or write them as ho-bags. Nynaeve fits the earlier bill and Faye from Cowboy Bebop is an example of the latter. Its best when women run the spectrum. As much as I like Robert Jordan, he does *not* know how to write for women. Contract that with Melanie Rawn who can write men and women with great skill. Sioned (I know you’ve never read Rawn) is probably the epitome of the strong female character whose strong mentally and emotionally as well as being tough.

I also want to point out that there are many types of strength. It seems that everyone mentioned here was capable of kicking butt even if they were a multi-faceted character. Not every strong woman needs to be a badass. Buttercup in the Princess Bride is a strong woman and she’s completely useless in combat. She’s not a screamer though and she is willing to stand up for herself.

December 16th, 2010 at 1:00 am

5. Aerials, Dating, Fringe Binge | Intro to Geek says:

[…] Shauncastic 09: She Don’t Need No Stinking Gun […]

July 17th, 2013 at 1:57 pm

6. DragonCon Diaries - Day 2 - Agents of Geek says:

[…] of tangent. I mean, that’s what us geeks do: fly into tangents that spark real conversation. Thank goodness I’ve had this conversation before! Ultimately, all of us panelists agreed that we don’t so much want a “strong” […]

September 6th, 2013 at 12:05 pm