Shauncastic 14: Pixel Hindsight Part 1

Play

In which we discuss our Top 25 favorite videogames from the 8bit and 16 bit eras, double entendres concerning plumbers and how 36 minutes is the new 11.

The “Cast” this week is Kevin “The Marine”, Tommy “The Horse Farmer”, and Nathan “The Dark Knight”. Don’t forget we’ve joined iTunes! So make sure to subscribe, rate, and leave reviews to help improve our listenership! Email us your thoughts, questions and suggestions for upcoming episodes at stuff@shauncastic.com. Enjoy!

If you’re interested in some of the games we’ve mentioned before or want to do some research/find some old systems to play these classics be sure to visit:

The Atari Age Website, for more information about Atari Era games.

The Nintendo Age Website, for more information about Nintendo Era games.

The Retro Zone Website, for more information about hardware from that era and modified hardware you can use in current generation systems.

The GameFAQs Website, for guides, reviews, and forums for practically any videogame out there. Also look out for Nathan on the website as “Dastari”.

The Speed Demos Archive Website, for videos of speedruns through some classic games likes Kevin’s beloved Super Metroid.

And finally if you’d like to read up on the history of video games check out The Ultimate History of Video Games: From Pong to Pokemon–The Story Behind the Craze That Touched Our Lives and Changed the World ,

7 comments

1. Dastari says:

Great guest cast this time. 🙂

December 18th, 2010 at 1:03 pm

2. Meark says:

A other good pdcast. Can’t wait to hear the rest the list. There are alot of great games out there and being that I was born in 1970, I have played probably every classic arcade game there was… Atleast the ones shipped our seas to the USA. I grew up spending all my allowance in the arcades when the arcades had every different type of game playin experiance you wanted. Not like now when you go in and it’s mainly shooters, driving or gambling games.
    But I do thnk you missed the mark on the reason for playing the games from the 80’s which was to get the high score. I remember playing pacman, galaga, donkey kong, ect., and havin the high score only to come back the next day and someone’s elses initals was in 1st, and wonder who the hell AAA was! So I had to beat the score he/she posted. Or playing like galaga to get the score of 9,999,995, which was the highest point value you could post before the score turned over back to zero.

December 21st, 2010 at 9:19 am

3. Dastari says:

I think that you’re right about the early 80’s but the games that we’re talking about are later games. In fact I think that one of Nintendo’s innovations was getting away from those simplistic games that were just about playing the same level over and over and seeing how many points that you could wrack up before you died and moving to games where the challenge was in getting to an ending. Adding storylines to games instead of infinitely repeatable scenes helped immensely after people had almost completely tired of the old school stuff.

I do hear ya about modern arcades though. They make me sad with just the driving games and shooters. Usually they’ll have a single Ms Pacman or Galaga game hanging around but there don’t seem to be any new video games outside of those genres.

December 22nd, 2010 at 12:36 am

4. Mearl says:

Well I’m hoping that space ace or dragoncons lair are not left out of the list since they was soooo inovated for games back in the late 80’s and DID have a reason to play to see how it ended. But I’m sure they won’t b since they are a little before everyone’s time but mine and that they was horrible on the early systems.

December 22nd, 2010 at 10:25 am

5. Mearl says:

Oh, btw, if anyon want to shoot me a facebook request you can at Mearl Crumley. Just tell me your from here…

December 22nd, 2010 at 11:45 am

6. Dastari says:

I just saw a relevant discussion on gamefaqs on the Final Fantasy forum so I thought I’d post from my colleague Dethaddr:

“A side note on this: I’ve always believed the best Zelda to be the original. The reason is LttP, although graphically superior, seemed like it was just a rework of the original, but instead of giving you a “second” quest, they turned it into a “dark” world that you could go back and forth between. Although KewlL, not good enough to be better than the original.”

Couldn’t agree more. If you have your gamefaqs set for 10 posts per page then this link will take you there:

December 27th, 2010 at 1:47 pm

7. Sasha Kager says:

What i find difficult is to find a blog that can capture me for a minute but your blog is different. Bravo.

January 17th, 2011 at 6:08 pm